Same Streets
← All stories

Aberdeen's Schoolhouse Standoff: Bonds, Bids, and a $3,000 Lot

A petition drive and a landowner's counteroffer stalled the city's new school while the board tried to build around the bond money.

The story, cleaned up

A cleaned-up reading of the newspaper page: spelling and layout repaired, one story lifted off a crowded page. It follows the original closely but it is not a transcription. The original page is below; read it if a detail matters.

The school question is not a dead issue by any means. The school board has changed the plans of the schoolhouse to make the cost come within the balance left of the bond money. They have rejected all the former bids for the erection of the building and are again advertising for bids based upon the altered specifications. The board announces its intention to push the building to a speedy completion.

In the meantime some of the citizens are busily engaged in circulating a petition calling for another school election to vote on the propositions outlined in the following open letter and reply:

'Capt. J. M. Weatherwax—The undersigned would respectfully represent that there are well founded objections to erecting the proposed new school house on Block 25, France addition to Aberdeen, that we believe it right and equitable that the board of school directors, of district No. 5, give the people an opportunity to express their convictions in the matter, and to that end we propose to petition them to call an election of the legal voters of the district. Desiring to, at the same time, afford an opportunity for an expression of the popular will as to locating the said school house on some other site, we would respectfully request that you would signify to us in writing the price you would be willing to accept for block 7, Weatherwax Benn's addition, taking as part payment, therefore, the lots 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, recently bought by the board for the said school house site. L. F. Babcock, A. C. Willey, F. K. Drake, E. Hulbert, and F. L. Carriman.'

To this letter Captain Weatherwax replied as follows:

'Gentlemen—In reply to your communication of even date herewith, I have to say that having expended some $350 in filling block 7, I am willing to accept the seven lots in block 25, France addition, and $2800 in cash for said block, or I will accept $3000 cash and the lots in block 25, giving the board one year in which to sell the lots at a higher figure than $4200, the price originally paid. Respectfully, J. M. Weatherwax.'

It would seem that in the many months which have elapsed since the bonds were issued plenty of time had been given for the people to thoroughly digest the pros and cons of the subject and arrive at a sensible and intelligent decision as to what was best for the city's interests, but such is not the case and it appears that unanimity of sentiment is impossible.

In view of these facts the proper course for the school board to pursue is to go ahead and complete the building as best they can with the money in hand. Should Mr. Weatherwax's proposition be accepted the attendant outlay will reduce the available funds for construction purposes to about $14,000 which would necessitate the drawing of new plans for a smaller building, as the funds now available are not sufficient to complete the structure according to the present plans. It is a shameful commentary on the city that a half dozen elections are necessary to the location of its public buildings, and what assurance is there that another election will settle the question?

“It is a shameful commentary on the city that a half dozen elections are necessary to the location of its public buildings, and what assurance is there that another election will settle the question?”

— Printed in Aberdeen Herald (Aberdeen, Chehalis County, W.T.) 1886-1917, 1892
Then · 1892134 years apartNow · 2026

The fight was not over whether Aberdeen needed a school but over where it would sit and who got to decide—bond-funded construction, petition drives, and a landowner bargaining with the district. Modern school-bond and siting fights in Aberdeen and Grays Harbor still turn on the same questions of cost, location, and public trust.

The original page

Aberdeen Herald (Aberdeen, Chehalis County, W.T.) 1886-1917, 1892-02-11. Library of Congress, Chronicling America.

From readers

No comments yet. If you know something about this story — a correction, a family memory, a source — it belongs here.

About this story

From
Aberdeen Herald (Aberdeen, Chehalis County, W.T.) 1886-1917, FEB 11, 1892, Page 4
Rights
Public domain
Place
46.97546, -123.81553 · placed automatically
The paper in the Library of Congress catalog ↗